Week 8, Day 3


Here we are, at the end of this season of Advent, the season leading up to Christmas—a season of waiting, a season of knowing the promises to come and waiting for them to arrive. I believe God lined up this season along with our personal season of awaiting the arrival of our little baby to teach us a thing or two about His patience, His glory, and His joy.

During Advent, we sing Mary’s Magnificat, the song she sings in response to seeing baby John the Baptist jump for joy within Elizabeth’s womb at the sight of Mary. This response is that of joy for the long awaited Messiah. A response to our long time prayer of “Come, Lord Jesus, come.” She sings,

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”

(Luke 1:47-55)

This season has been a challenging one. We have been sorrowful in our loss of Bailey, yet hopeful of God’s promises to take away our tears. We have been worried for this new baby, watching my levels go up and down, fearful we would experience loss once again. We have had many days of wonder, sitting in awe of our God’s strength and power as He overcame the “danger zone” my levels were in. We have had waves of emotion as we try to trust, which is a very difficult thing for any human to do. Each time, through each trial, each fear, each victory and surprise—God has shown His faithfulness. He has shown His strength. And He has shown His magnificent glory. After each good test and each ultrasound showing us our baby, I have cried on my way back into work, singing “praise God from whom all blessings flow” over and over. That is all this is—Him showing us His mercy. We are very blessed to have made it even this far, 8 weeks and 3 days, to see our little one hanging out in my belly, showing us their little arms and legs.

Last night, as we sang the Magnificat for the last time this season, tears filled both our eyes. I cannot express the joy and the awe we feel for all God has done in our hearts these past few months. He has melted the stone, He has been molding the clay. He has been teaching us to wait on Him, His timing, and to see His glory at work in us, in those around us, and in our child. I cannot imagine the pure joy Mary felt as she rejoiced in song. I imagine her emotions were 10 times that of ours. I also cannot imagine the joy set before us when we arrive in Heaven and get to praise at His heavenly throne, singing these same songs with all the company of Heaven.

Thank You for answering our long prayed prayers. Thank you for showing us Your promises and Your power.
My soul Magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God our Savior.

Amen and amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joyful in the Spirit, Grieved in the Flesh

What My Negative Self-Talk Has Taught Me

Joy Comes in the Morning